Student exchange offers broad-based benefits and outcomes for students keen to embark on this international adventure.
Most of these are intertwined and come together to constitute the overarching exchange experience.
- International learning and knowledge propels students towards acceptance and understanding of an array of different cultural and community perspectives.
- Language acquisition is achieved through practical immersion.
- Awareness and adoption of alternative, multi-faceted approaches to learning.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Enhanced interest in global issues as well as a broader general knowledge.
- Self-development and awareness leading to enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem. This is often the most noticeable change in returned exchange students (“Rebounds”).
- Maturity and social poise, fueled by the necessity to confront challenges outside a familiar support network and comfort zone.
- Integration into another family as well as the development of life-long friendships, fostering an appreciation of home and family.
- A tremendous sense of accomplishment upon completion encourages students to develop independent opinions, make informed decisions and strive to attain fresh goals.
- Students who go on to studies beyond high school find themselves more comfortable in ‘foreign’ environments.
- Prospective employers in almost every field look favorably upon experience gained while living overseas and knowledge obtained of another language and culture.
- Increased pressure to communicate and relate to others develops an awareness of group dynamics and personal sensitivity towards others.
- Successful program completion represents an excellent measure of personal flexibility, encompassing an ability to reach compromise, focus and achieve success through challenging times.